Text of the poem "My Grandmother's House" by Kamala Das

My Grandmother's House 

-Kamala Das

(The poem is in free verse & it was first published in Kamala Das's "Summer in Calcutta" in 1965.)

There is a house now far away where once 
I received love... That woman died, 
The House withdrew into silence, snakes moved 
Among books, I was then too young
To read, and my blood turned cold like the moon ← Simile 
How often I think of going
There, to peer through blind eyes of windows or 
Just listen to the frozen air, 
or in wild despair, pick an armful of 
Darkness to bring it here to lie
Behind my bedroom door like a brooding← Simile 
Dog... You cannot believe darling(addressed to her husband), 
Can you, that I lived in such a house and 
Was proud & beg now at stranger's doors to
Receive love, at least in small change?  

-Kamala Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syed Amanuddin । poem analysis of poem Don't call me Indo-Anglian

Medieval History of India । Delhi Sultanate । Slave Dynasty

The Solitary Reaper । Text of the Poem । William Wordsworth